The Central Library and Documentation Center, a prosperous site in Shiraz University is one of the largest libraries in Iran which is made by considerable efforts during several years.
The history of this library comes back to 1986, until then this library was a part of Mulla Sadra Library (Science College). Over the years, the resources in humanities, social sciences and educational science were separated from the library and were moved to "the Mirzaye Shirazi Library, which renamed later to "Central Library and Documentation Center.
Actually, this library has the precious collections: Persian and Latin books, reference books, magazines, old and new newspapers, documents, manuscripts, and electronic scientific resources, so this library is famous among academic libraries.
The construction of the Central Library and the Documents Center began in the late 1960s (Central Library annual report, 1365). The Literature and Sciences Library of Shiraz University is established in 1966 and the Faculty of Literature and the resources in Mulla Sadra Library that were appertained to 000-400 and 700-900 classifications were moved to the new building in Eram Tape and related classifications (500 and 600 ) just remained in Mulla Sadra Library.
The substructure of Central Library and the Documentation Center is about 11,000 square meters which is designed in four floors.
But the current building with three floors covers that area, about 11,000 square meters.
The first floor (ground) consists of physical security, study hall for ladies and gentlemen, praying room, searching place for resources and technical services.
The second floor is allocated to these collections: reference, Persian, Arabic, Latin, educational sciences and demography. The other sections are special collections (Abaspour, Iranian Studies, Professor Pop and Children Literature), circulation desk, exposition, and copy shop.
The third floor is a place for management, periodicals, thesis, database, technical computer services, manuscripts, audiovisual, education and a section for blind students.